[Tagging] As the crow flies

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 12:56:44 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel dirty every time I do that, they are usually tagged as
> surface=mud.. :-) Basically I map them  if there really is a path
> there and it seems usefull, even though it's clearly not a designated
> path.

There definitely should be a convention for mapping footpads/goat
tracks/desire lines. They're real things, they're verifiable, they're
useful to map. highway=path; path=footpad perhaps?

Separately there is the question of mapping router hints: suggested
routes across open areas. I don't see a problem, in principle, with
recording hints, as long as it's clear that that's all they are:
foot=yes;_hint=yes perhaps.

For the example at hand, I think standard practice is to connect the
path to the edge of the parking lot, then make sure the other edge of
the parking lot is connected to a highway=service...

Steve