[Tagging] source:maxspeed vs. maxspeed:type

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Feb 23 10:36:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 17:38 +0100, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Recently the use of the key maxspeed:type was documented in the wiki
> (see [1] and [2]). It seems to be used in the UK for the same purpose
> as source:maxspeed. I quote: "In the UK the general practice is to use
> the maxspeed:type tag as the source:*=* should be for how the data was
> collected, not how it was derived. "
>
> Well - there's a point. Yes, I know how often source:maxspeed is
> tagged (241,738 times). But besides being tagged, is it "used" for
> anything at the moment?

It is used to indicated a speed limit that is not explicitly signposted,
such as by a the National Speed Limit sign
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=File:UK_traffic_sign_671.svg&page=1

The motorway 'chopsticks' sign, or a change from single to dual
carriageway.

I am not aware of it being used, but will make changes a lot easier if
the limits ever change. There is discussion about raising the motorway
limit to 80mph.

Phil (trigpoint)