[Tagging] source:maxspeed vs. maxspeed:type

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 12:49:33 UTC 2013

Hi!

2013/2/23 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
> 2013/2/23 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:
>>
>> You can achieve exactly the same with maxspeed:type. And usually we
>> use the key source for how we collect the data, but not the key
>> source:maxspeed . In my opinion maxpeed:type is also a much more
>> intuitive key than source:maxspeed.
>

> I feel that you are some years too late with this observation. Why not
> use maxspeed:source for the source and keep source:maxspeed for what
> it is used? There is really no point in arbitrarily changing tag
> meanings. At first glimpse maxspeed:type seems to need some
> unification effort (if uk mappers prefer to have another system than
> an "established" one), there are still quite a lot of variants:
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/maxspeed%3Atype#values

I did not suggest to change the meaning. I was asking a question based
on what I found in the wiki. The key maxspeed:source seems to be used
the same as source:maxspeed according to taginfo.

>> As in the UK examples in the wiki we (potentially) would get an
>> additional piece of information and would be more consistent.
>> maxspeed=50  -> what is the speed limit?
>> maxspeed:type=AT:urban -> what kind of speed limit is is?
>> source:maxspeed=survey  -> how was the information regarding the speed
>
> yes, you could do it this way, but if you used maxspeed:source instead
> for how the information was collected you would not have to change the
> quarter million "source:maxspeed"-tags.

The key maxspeed:source is also used and it seems that it is used for
the same. Simply because people get it "the wrong way around"
sometimes, I guess. Me too, by the way.

Martin