[Tagging] Proposition for a classification of path

Balaitous balaitous at mailoo.org
Tue Feb 26 17:57:18 UTC 2013

Le lundi 25 février 2013 à 18:27 -0500, Richard Welty a écrit :
> On 2/25/13 5:17 PM, Balaitous wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have wrote a proposition of classification for path.
> > You can see it at :
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/pathtype
> >
> given the descriptions on the proposal page, how would you categorize
> this path:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.299921&lon=-77.708957&zoom=18&layers=M
>
> it is a loop trail at a historic tour stop, it travels through the woods
> to several points of
> interest on the Wilderness Battlefield and returns to the original
> parking area. it is well
> maintained, defined by a rubberized surface, and is intended
> specifically for use on foot.
>
> i'd think grade 1 or 2 based on maintenance, but it's short and doesn't
> entirely fit in the
> rest of the definition.
>
> richard

In my mind, grade1 is only for long route, so it could by 2 or 3.
It seems to be culturally significant so may be 2.

In a such forest, in France we have many and many paths, I don't know
for USA.
Some of them are long route, other are short, bad, without POI and only
used by hunters, mushroom collector, ...
Today I don't see others path in your map, but if such paths exist, it
would be important to be able to distinguish them.