[Tagging] Wikidata tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 10:56:56 UTC 2013

2013/2/26 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I made a wikidata tag proposal, here is the link:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Wikidata
>
> I think connecting our data with wikidatas data would give us a big
> potential. It's as easy as giving our entities a wikidata=Qxxx tag. Similar
> to wikipedia tag, but better as wikidata is more data oriented.

What is the relation between wikidata and wikipedia? Couldn't one get
the wikidata-reference code by looking up the wikipedia article name?
In this case it would be an unnecessary duplication of information to
also have a wikidata tag.

I like the idea to use URIs for operators, like suggested in your
proposal, but these have to be correct, e.g. the McDonald's example
from your proposal doesn't work, it would be plain wrong, as
McDonald's is a franchise and most McDonald's "restaurants" are not
operated by the McDonald's Corporation. This example also shows that
the data wikidata offers for the moment is not quite detailed, there
seems to be no other information than the common name in various
languages (e.g. there is no information about the address, not even
the full name including the legal form (corporation etc.), no contact
details, no management, business volume or any other interesting
information regarding a company).

cheers,
Martin