[Tagging] Multiple purposes for buildings

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 10:16:59 GMT 2013

2013/1/2 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> 2013/1/2 Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com>:
> > What you are trying to tag is the
> > *use* of the building, and not a property of the building per se. Unless
> > it's a mall, a retail store's interior is not structurally different
> from an
> > office space or apartments - it could be converted, in fact.
>

> well, true and not. [...]

I agree, what I said is not universally true. However, often those
"mixed-use" buildings feature units that can be easily converted. In Italy
for instance it is common to find apartments used as offices for small
companies, and shops in the floor level of a building that could be
converted to an apartment (I know because I did). While the use change
doesn't happen at the blink of an eye, and you usually have to obtain
permits to do that, I fail to see what makes those rooms a residential or a
commercial building - especially considering, as you said, that
"commercial" and "residential" may mean a lot of different things.

Regards,

Simone