[Tagging] Brand vs. Franchise

dies38061 at mypacks.net dies38061 at mypacks.net
Sun Jan 6 22:24:29 GMT 2013

In an earlier message it was suggested that I use key:brand for a store in a chain.  An alternative is to use key:franchise.  Key:Brand is (much) more widely used in terms of instances.  Key:franchise implies a conservation of business model by franchisees and goes along with a shared brand; sharing a brand does not imply that there is a franchise relationship.  My thinking is that key:franchise should be discouraged in favor of key:brand where the intention is to show an observable relationship between a single store and a chain evidenced only by names.  In this sense, key:franchise is like key:landuse while key:brand is like key:landcover — the former implies a knowledge of they why and how, while the latter implies knowledge of what.  Key:franchise could be used in addition if there is documentation to support it.

If there is agreement on this, I'd suggest working to clean and close http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:franchise so that a clear demarcation between use can be documented.

--ceyockey