[Tagging] Source tag - deprecated for use on objects?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jan 7 19:21:58 GMT 2013

Dudley Ibbett wrote:
> If putting source on the changeset is to be the way forward

I don't think that's at all a given. Serge and some other people are
proponents of it. Other people think it simply doesn't work for real-world
mapping. There is no consensus, but the numbers show that the most common
practice remains source-tags-on-objects.

IIRC the reason we even have freeform tags on changesets (it was originally
going to be simply a single column for created_by) is that I originally
suggested it'd be useful for the editor to be able to record the background
imagery source with the changeset. Frederik duly added k/v pairs. I
subsequently realised that my idea was stupid and have personally continued
to tag source on objects ever since. :)

cheers
Richard