[Tagging] What key for animal related "amenities"?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:21:14 GMT 2013

2013/1/15 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:
> 2013/1/15 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
>> IMHO animal is a good key for this, but you could also use one of the others like amenity, man_made, building, leisure ;-)
>
> Actually I think that animal is a rather bad key for this. To me this
> would name the animal the feature is related to. Taginfo also tells us
> that the main use of this key is the value "yes". The other values are
> a mixture of features and animals. So not really a clear idea behind
> this key.

Yes, you are right that actual usage of the key doesn't back up this
suggestion. I was referring to this page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Animal which lists values like
"swimming", "wellness", "cemetery", "crematorium" etc. for the animal
key. Maybe we should decide which way to go here (e.g. IF we wanted to
discourage tagging animal types with this we could propose
animal:species or for_animal:species or simply species for this use
case).

cheers,
Martin