[Tagging] business closed for renovation - tagging best practice

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 14:17:13 GMT 2013

On 2013-01-15 14:23, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote :

> 2013/1/15 A.Pirard.Papou <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
> <mailto:A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>>
>
>     What about suggesting the shops to post their requests to
>     OpenStreetBugs (1)?
>

> Or offer them a simple dedicated system to edit directly in OSM
> (something very simple, which offers just the tags that are connected
> to a certain topic, and which abstracts the tags from them, e.g. a
> reduced version of potlatch or iD, without the possibility to edit
> geometry).

Yes, that was also on my mind when I wrote, but I have a tendency to
suggest the simplest solutions.
What we're talking about now is heading towards assisted or supervised
tagging, you name it.
Sort of what Google wisely does to prevent anyone destroying Google Maps.

Could (I'm sketching and confessing you my dream :-)) the editors, both
simplified as you describe and fully featured), work in password-less
mode (with warning and explanation)? Then, when OSM receives a
password-less change set, after testing it for coherence, it would not
apply it but send it to a pool for review?  Reviewers would pick and
apply them effectively.  The main question is:  would there be enough
reviewers to do the less enjoyable job of absorbing the input timely?
One could think of a quota system for everyone to do his homework to
earn his membership.
I have many reasons (real stories) to believe that something should be
done also for improving some taggers' competence or taming the flurry of
careless activity of others.  One idea would be extra validation
optionally done by OSM itself, much the way JOSM checks the updates
better than...  But here, the dream is recalled fuzzily to my brain ;-)

Cheers,

André.