[Tagging] Powerlines underground

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:20:01 GMT 2013

On 2013-01-16 14:24, Janko Mihelić wrote :
> I think that if we map underground cables with "power=line,
> location=underground" we will expect too much from renderers that
> don't want to think too much about this. If you put "power=cable" they
> will not render it, and everything is ok.
I'm somewhat of a tourist in this thread (if you didn't notice) but I
can't help wondering why these lines aka cables are not tagged with at
least layer=±3 (1).
Now, if we do not want the non-specialized renderer to be updated with
each new feature, the best is a tag telling whether a underground hidden
object has to be rendered with a dotted line. This is not tagging for
the renderer (2), it is making an OSMap.

This is the same feature-independence reasoning as saying that bridges
are black objects a little wider than the road, just that, and tagged at
level road-1, thus supporting the road without interrupting nor hiding
it (as done at legacy level +1) and extending two black stripes to each
side.  While bridge=yes was OK, I have had rendering problems with
bridge=culvert and I'm wondering why the renderer is messing in the
hidden underskirt of a bridge :-)

Cheers,

André.

(1) which should have been called level in my mind.
BTW, wiki/Layer had better say that the ground at Earth surface is layer 0.
(2) which is working around its mistakes