[Tagging] Follow-up on Time Domains

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Sun Jan 20 15:55:45 GMT 2013

Hi Serge,

Am Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013, 10:00:11 schrieb Serge Wroclawski:
> The Microformats community seems to be going through a similar
> process: http://microformats.org/wiki/opening-hours
>
> The funny part is that they use our current spec as an example of
> opening hours done right.

I fail to see where your "done right" comes from. The OSM format is mentioned on the brainstorming page, that's all.

> Maybe you can go into more detail about where you think the current
> format is lacking, and why you think it needs this major overhaul.

The problem, as I have explained in the original RFC, is that the opening_hours page is *not* a specification. It is a collection of random examples that even contradict each other.
The result is that the number of implementations is quite low and that those implementations conflict.

Here are the goals of the RFC mail:
- has to be implementable
- reuses opening_hours syntax as much as reasonable
- is properly defined
- is reasonably complete
- is reasonably extensible

> And then you can perhaps go into an implementation or two of the new
> spec (as well as possibly a path for transition)?

There is no path for transition.
An implementation of the current version of the time domain spec is not that difficult (basically just evaluating from left to right).

Eckhart