[Tagging] Is the difference between power station and sub station clear?

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 21 19:18:06 GMT 2013

On 21/01/2013 11:02, François Lacombe wrote:
> But the current usage of a tag doesn't avoid its deprecation, do you?
> It may be clearly written on the wiki page that power=station is from
> now deprecated as for starting the swap to the power=sub_station value.
>
> There will be a time were power networks would be overloaded with all
> those different values describing the same thing.
> Can't we start a sensus (or finalize 2 or 3 RFC wainting for votes) and
> bring it up in osmose?

I clearly support to deprecate "station" quickly. It was an unfortunate
choice to introduce this tag as the creator admits himself, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Power_lines#RFC_-_draft

I have already taken the first step to deprecate "station" on the main
power page ( http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:power ) by removing
the distinction between 'large' and 'small' substations and mentioning
the station tag as being 'disputed'. I didn't dare to take the full step
and use the word "deprecated", however.

The main problem is of course that 'station' is so widely used. I would
not recommend to do a mass retagging of all 'stations' as some of them
are genuine power plants, not substations according to my experience!
They need inspection.

Ole / polderrunner