[Tagging] Follow-up on Time Domains

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:32:20 GMT 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:36:57 Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> > there have been some minor additions resulting in an updated spec.
>
> The one comment I have is that I'm not at all used to seeing two
> letter days of the week.
>
> I've always seen them as Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat, Sun.
>
> This is obviously cultural, but we want these to be as "natural" as
> possible.

Surely this is 'internal'.  That is, it's nice that some people can read Mo,
Tu, We, etc., but for others, they are just 'coded' days of the week.  Date
producers need to understand the meaning of Mo, Tu, etc. so that they can
record them properly in the database, but data consumers need to translate
these to something that can be displayed nicely.

For example, you may like to see Mon, Tue, Wed, etc., so for your renderer
there should be a mapping table Mo->Mon Tu->Tue and so on.  For a Korean
renderer there should be a table Mo->월 Tu->화 We->수, etc.

I think the *definition* for recording the opening times in the database
should specify two-letter English abbreviations for days (and three-letter
English abbreviations for months) and leave it to localised software to
translate them appropriately.

Best wishes,

Andrew