[Tagging] wiki building=hangar

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Jan 23 11:46:09 GMT 2013

Am 23.01.2013 12:26, schrieb Martin Vonwald:
> I just want to add my understanding of the building tags:
>
> building=xxx (with no other tags like building:use): it looks like a
> xxx and is used as xxx
> building:use=xxx: it is used as xxx, but might not look like one
> building:type=xxx: it looks like xxx, but might not be used as xxx
>
> So building=hangar to me is a building that was built as a hanger,
> therefore looks like one and is used as one. If I now add
> building:use=warehouse, it still looks like a hangar but is not used
> as such but instead as a warehouse.
>
> Right/wrong/both of it?
Do we need that?
Are there examples, where the we need building:use? For most cases we
already have corresponding tags that would double the building:use:
shop=*, a lot of values in amenity=*, the aeroway=hangar example...
I don't think building:use ever is useful instead of or additional to
the corresponding fitting "real" tag; but perhaps you (or anybody else
can give examples of usages, where such a tag is missing or where there
are reasons not to use/invent one.

regards
Peter