[Tagging] Is the difference between power station and sub station clear?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Fri Jan 25 01:16:51 GMT 2013

On 21.01.2013 01:54, François Lacombe wrote:
> May someone answers that question

power=station is used for large, fenced areas where high voltage is
transformed to medium voltage. In German: Umspannwerk

power=sub_station is used for smaller objects, like buildings with 2m each
side and a height of a few m, where medium voltage is transformed to low
voltage. In German: Trafohäuschen (or Trafostation)

On 24.01.2013 09:52, François Lacombe wrote:

> I found that proposal, which was converted in RFC and finally accepted by
> voting.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Power_generation_refinement#Single-site_facitilies

No, it was rejected. It did not get enough votes.

> It's clearly written there's a spelling problem around substation vs sub
> station.
> In fact, power=substation seems to be better than power=sub_station since a
> sub station is a sub marine facility.
>
> Should we take care of that?

Maybe. Spelling errors have been corrected in other cases too (e.g.
type=broad_leafed).

> In this case it seems to be a minor problem as 'station' and
> 'sub_station' are rendered the same way in Mapnik and probably most
> other renderers as well.

That does not mean that they are the same thing. Many types of objects which
are part of map features are not rendered by Mapnik at all.

On 24.01.2013 10:40, François Lacombe wrote:
> Consensus seems to emerge from this discussion, I would edit the wiki like
> polderrunner explained.

This is a consensus among 2 persons at best. This does not legitimate you to
make vast changes to the Wiki. There should at least be a topic in the wiki
talk page for some months.

And first of all you should contact user "aliponte" who did a lot of work
mapping power networks in central Europe.

> * Deprecation (not removal) of power=station, power=substation (and all
> other values), message adding at the top of keys' pages. power=sub_station
> will be the only valid value. It will encourage mappers to migrate existant
> power=station to power=sub_station.
> * Removing all the links to the keys' pages.
> * Editing all pages refering to power=station, power=substation and
> eventually update to power=sub_station.
> * Moving all good stuff from power=station to power=sub_station if needed
> and relevant.
>
> Finally, valid stuff will be located at :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dsub_station
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Power_substations
>
> Do everyone agree with that?

No, I disagree.

On 24.01.2013 16:11, Chris Hill wrote:
> I agree the word is substation, but sadly there are 75,700+ entries for
> sub_station and only 18 entries for substation.

Seems like a bot has been correcting substation to sub_station. So it cannot
be concluded that sub_station is 4200x more popular than substation.

However, I agree with you that there's already too much application support
for sub_station to just drop it in the wiki.

> The good method for migrating is the one used to change highway=gate into
> barrier=gate by adding the new tag and leaving the old for a long changeover
> time, thus not breaking any data consumers uses. I don't think that would
> work well for this subtle change as many would not know which tag was right.
> A mass edit changeover to substation would break a lot of renders etc, so I
> suspect we are stuck with sub_station for now.

We could use the standard voting procedure in order to enable mappers and
developers to get notified of the change. The question is: Is the spelling
error really that ugly to justify the effort?

On 24.01.2013 22:46, Ole Nielsen wrote:
> I have now marked http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dstation as
> deprecated, removed 'power=station' from the "power features" template
> meaning it's gone from all language versions of Map Features using the
> template and removed links from a few feature pages.

This is really bad. Please revert these changes immediately. Otherwise I'll
do it, but I am afraid that I would miss some of the affected pages.