[Tagging] Is the difference between power station and sub station clear?

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:56:14 GMT 2013

On 25/01/13 11:57, Martin Vonwald wrote:
> 2013/1/25 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
>> How did you come to the conclusion that power=station is Umspannwerk, and
>> power=sub_station is Transformatorenstation? There is no logical reason,
>> because power station is a power plant in English.
>
> I'm a german native speaker, but nonetheless +1 . As was already
> mentioned a few times: a "power station" is a "power plant", i.e. it
> generates power (use power=generator). Size should not influence the
> tag (you draw the area), neither should voltage (use the voltage key
> for that).

+1 for deprecating power=station

but I also see a problem with using power=sub_station for all now. I think there
is a difference between big substations and the real small ones (tagged with as
substations right now). Even if it is only a difference in voltage, we will
loose this information. Also I would have to either tag the object as substation
and transformer or add another node for the transformer (rarely visible) within
the closed way.

Think we aswell need a tag for power plants as I often have problems to tag the
power=generator on big power plants and some even have more than one. Where
should I add my tags, to the real generators or the whole area ?

As the power=* tags seem to be more isolated than some other tags it might be
possible to try a complete but carefully redesigning once we have clarified the
meanings and there translations.
This will hopefully include correcting misspelled tags.

My two cents
fly