[Tagging] Is the difference between power station and sub station clear?

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Jan 27 15:02:40 GMT 2013

Hi Martin,

2013/1/27 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> the sense in OSM is perfectly clear and defined in the osm wiki:
> power=station describes a substation for high voltage.
> power=sub_station is a substation for transforming medium to low
> voltage. This is also defined in the wiki.

This discussion shows there's a little doubt about the correctness of this
business.

> why should we create a situation where you will no more be able to map
> substations if you don't know the voltage? There is really no
> advantage from excluding mappers.

That wasn't my idea.

If mappers see a substation, they can map a substation in OSM,
power=substation.
But if they can't determine the voltage, they're not required to put this
information in their upload instead of publishing wrong data.

Putting two tags instead of one allows people to act like that.

> fine. You can do this. But it isn't necessary to keep this in mind to
> map substations. Never had a problem distinguishing power=station from
> power=sub_station.

How can you be sure the distinction you made is right if voltage isn't
mandatory in the equation?

If all kind of substation are mapped with power=substation, the set could
just incomplete because we'll sometimes lack the voltage tag but existing
data is obviously right.
If the distinction is made on the power tag value, mistakes are easier to
be made.

I've got an answer from aliponte this morning. I'll ask him if I can
copy/paste his whole message here as for not extracting sentences from
their context.

Cheers.

--
*François Lacombe*