[Tagging] Tunnels and bridges

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:44:37 GMT 2013

In my opinion this is a rather obvious approach therefore I'm not
surprised that someone already came up with it earlier. But I am
definitively surprised that we don't have any documentation in the
wiki for it. I see a lot of bridges with many ways running over it
(two footways, two cycleways, two carriageways) and on the map it just
looks AWFUL! But the renderer can not display it any better because it
doesn't have the appropriate information.

So I would suggest that we decide which tag would be good for the
bridge, document it and start tagging it this way to get things going
;-)

Let's first concentrate on bridges. In my opinion we need the following tags:
* bridge=<type> : use this tag just like it is used at the moment. If
the value would be "yes" it should be optional.
* layer=<x> : this should get the same layer as the ways running over
it. One could argue that this should get a layer below the ways, but I
find this rather counter-intuitive. See comment below!
* <something>=bridge : this is the tag we should decide one. I guess
the value "bridge" is unchallenged.

So for a simple bridge we would end up with one way describing the
outline and 2-3 tags.

Concerning the layer-tag we have to consider something more: how about
bridges with more than one level, e.g. on top are the roads and below
them the subway and some cycleways. There is already a concept that
supports this: building-parts. It might be a good idea to integrate
bridges in this concept. I am definitively not familiar with that
concept but if I am not mistaken one can specify different levels of a
building. So if we would use that concept we could specify a bridge
with two levels with the tags level=1 + layer=<x> for the lower part
and level=2 + layer=<x+1> for the upper part. The tagging of the
"simple" case (i.e. with only one level) wouldn't change.

Any experts here for 3D tagging? Would a bridge fit into this concept?

regards,
Martin