[Tagging] Tunnels and bridges

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 16:31:25 GMT 2013

I read a bit about 3D buildings, and it's pretty compatible. Here is an
article about simple 3D buildings:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_Buildings

Here is a picture that shows the concept of building:parts:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=File:Minlevel.svg&page=1

Those three are building parts (building:part=yes), and they are all in a
relation that has type=building. A full area (building=yes) is also in the
relation.

So with a bridge, we could have the relation with type=building, in it
would be the full area with building=bridge, and piers which would all have
building:part=yes (or maybe building:part=pier). Each pier would have it's
height (height=10).

We should agree what to do with the height (and min_height) of the
building=bridge area. If it goes over uneven terrain, there is no unique
height. If it goes over sea, than we have tides that change the height. So
we can agree to put in the maximum height the bridge has, or nothing. I see
no other solution.

Janko Mihelić