[Tagging] Open of discussion on "operational_status" (part of life cycle with disused/abandoned/demolished)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 08:47:41 UTC 2013

2013/7/2 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>

> So how *should* we annotate an object, which we believe to be
> a permanent part of the landscape,
> but which needs some form of descriptive note?

I'd say this depends on the object.

> Example: a restroom with a sign reading "Closed until July 2014 for
repairs",

note="closed until july 2014 for repairs" (really, one year to repair a
toilet?)

> or a highly decorative water fountain that's dry,

amenity=fountain (I wouldn't expect that a fountain has to have water in it
all the time)

> or a drinking water tap that works OK, but dribbles on your shoes,

wouldn't think this is a detail worth storing it. I live in a city with
many public drinking water fountains, they look like this:
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nasone.jpg and sometimes they are dry,
sometimes they dribble, sometimes they are so strong that their jet makes
everything wet around them, but these are variations within a normal
"range" and might also change from one day to the other.

cheers,
Martin

PS: Basic tags for storing non-formal detail information are for example
"note" (for other mappers), "description" (for map consumers), "fixme" (for
other mappers and indicating a potential problem) and their localized
variants.