[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - image=http://example.com/image_license_page

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Jul 2 16:33:15 UTC 2013

On 02.07.2013 17:56, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Image
> This tag has over 12,000 uses, and I feel it is time to define the
> expectations for the tag clearly.

Unfortunately, some crucial expectations that I have for linked images
are still missing:

* I feel that it should be stated that *only* images under a free
license should be linked, i.e. images that offer the same freedoms as
OpenStreetMap data.
* As a practical requirement for use cases such as embedding, images
need to either be available without attribution requirements - i.e. as
CC0, PD or similar - or the attribution must be machine-readable.

> The big change is a definition that the image tag point to an index page
> which defines the license status,
> (rather than depending on the EXIF data).

While this is an attempt to address the license problem, it is only
loosely related. Image description pages may not actually be
machine-readable. On the other had, some sites may indeed offer
machine-readable data, but through different means (an API, normalized
EXIF data, or simply by applying the same license to all images hosted
on the site).

So this is a good suggestion for Wikimedia Commons, but not necessarily
for other sites. I doubt there even is a solution that works for every
image source equally.

Tobias