[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting Open - toilets, toilets:disposal, pitlatrine

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Jul 15 16:19:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> what does "fully private" and "public" mean? Can I map a toilet on a camp
> site or on the beach or at a petrol station with this tag, where the usage
> is only allowed for customers of the camp site/beach/gas station? Does it
> change if the use by everyone coming by is tolerated but the toilets are
> privately owned and operated? Or if the use of nearly everyone is tolerated
> (i.e. usage at discretion of the owner who normally allows it)? If not, how
> (if at all) shall these be tagged then?

A toilet in a private home or private office building seems to have crossed
the line into over-mapping, that's what I meant to discourage.

But I'd invite your edits to the wiki to clarify mapping of objects with
fuzzy access restrictions, be they toilets or other facilities.  While
standalone toilets are usually open to all, there are literally millions of
toilets inside places with access restrictions that may be strict, loose,
or depend who is on shift that day.

This type of toilet tagging has a lot in common with other restricted
objects,  One difference came up in the discussion: an assertion on the
part of a wheelchair user who wants *all* toilets mapped because
(paraphrasing) "in my experience nobody ever refuses access to a wheelchair
user".  I cringe at the fuzzy and unverifiable nature of trying to capture
that class of facility.

----

*access=permissive* is the tag I use for a campground toilet where no
particular access controls seem to exist.  There are hundreds or thousands
of those in OSM already.  I've used OSM to find and use such a toilet as
well: so at least one person has found mapping them of value.
*
toilets=no* is potentially useful, for those facilities you might expect
have a toilet, but don't.  For "no public restroom" facilities that's
probably the right tagging, though difficult to keep up to date.