[Tagging] Double and misfitting house numbers

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 19:54:53 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Tobias <cra_klinrain at gmx.de> wrote:

> It is kind of both. So in the end you will have the 101 on the building
> and the shop.

That seems okay to me.

We don't map to the renderer, so if it's both, it's both.

If you feel strongly it should only be on one, let it be on the shop,
and if two shops share the same housenumber, so be it, because it's
true.

>> The building I live in is mixed use. Some of the building contains
>> retail shops, and then there's a large apartment complex (which is
>> where I live).
>
> So there are two separate buildings?

No, it's one building, but I live in New York city, and buildings here
are often a mix of retail and residential, with retail on the bottom
floors and residential on the top floors, and they share the same
housenumber.

>> I've tagged the shops with the same addr:housenumber as the apartment
>> complex, because that's the truth.
>
> So you are preferring to double-tag each house number. In your example I
> would say that you do not need to add house numbers to the shops because
> they can be obtained from the building way.

I don't like complex relations, either as a mapper or as a tool
author. Working with them as a mapper is a pain, and writing tools
that understand them is also hard.

>> Google is confused about this and thinks I live in a store, but
>> Nominatim simply asks if I mean the apartment complex, or the
>> shops.[1]
>
> Does Google use OSM Data at you place? At my place I guess google bought
> the right to use those data from the local municipal authority or
> somebody else.

Google does not use OSM data anywhere, but in the US (where I live),
Google has shop data and when I put in my address, it geocodes it to a
shop.

- Serge