[Tagging] Are addresses ... objects vs attributes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 15:12:36 UTC 2013

2013/7/25 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>

> building=yes (or whatever value you want), combined with shop=* - is
> such an object primiraly a shop or a building?  (and no: it's entirely
> valid and common usage to tag both on the building outline)

Sorry for picking this out of your post, with which I generally agree, but:
this is not a good way to map IMHO, but yes, it is common practice. Why is
this not a good idea? Example:

building=*
shop=bakery
name=Foo
start_date=1967

is Foo the name of the building or of the shop? When was the building
built? Or was that the shop that was founded in 1967? You won't get this
information out of the data, because it is not clear to what the tags refer
to.

cheers,
Martin