[Tagging] pastry and confectionery

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Sun Jun 2 14:47:18 UTC 2013

Andreas Labres <list at ...> writes:
> Here (in Vienna ;) the distinciton is "Bäckerei" (= bakery, who also sell
sweets
> like those "Viennoiseries") vs "Konditorei" (= pâtisserie) (those are
different
> crafts). Don't know what the correct English translation is for the
latter, it
> seems to be confectionery.
>
> N.B. most of the "Konditorei"en are also "Kaffeesieder", what makes them
an
> amenity=cafe.
>
> Different from a "Konditorei" (and dying out) is a "Confiserie" (no cakes,
just
> sweets).
>
> And of course there also is a thing called drop shop (www.dropshop.at)
(candies
> only).

Just by comparing words I find it plausible to believe that:
* "Bäckerei" is related to "bakery"
* "pâtisserie" is related to "pastry"
* "Confiserie" is related to "confectionary"

I think your examples are great. This is a gliding scale from bread via pies
and cakes to chocolate and candy.

p.s.
I Sweden, we used to have "bageri" (=bäckerei/bakery) exactly as you
describe. We also had more exclusive "konditori" (=konditorei exactly as you
describe many of them also served coffe).
d.s.