[Tagging] pastry and confectionery

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 17:45:05 UTC 2013

2013/6/2 Murry McEntire <murry.mcentire at gmail.com>

> I do see bakery (baked goods) and confectionery (candy, chocolates) and
> the shops that sell them as very different so would never use the later for
> any of the former. If I go to a telephone business book (yellow pages) or a
> book section in a book store, I expect bakery and baking books to cover
> breads, cakes, pastries, etc.

I do agree that there are probably big cultural differences in this area
and that in some parts of the world these would all be considered bakeries,
but around here and also in Germany like in Austria pastry shops
(pâtisserie) won't sell you bread (as long as they aren't both, a
"Bäckerei" and a "Konditorei"). I would prefer to have a distinct shop tag
and not rely on a second tag like cuisine.

> Rather than push for shop=pastry it makes more sense to change the text
on the wiki to expand what bakery

My guess is that this won't be agreeable, and I'm also opposing it, right
now the wiki says a "Konditorei"/pâtisserie should be tagged as
"confectionery", if we moved this now to bakery it would be an awful mess
;-)

cheers,
Martin