[Tagging] how to tag professional schools

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Mon Jun 3 19:33:03 UTC 2013

I think that the OSM
wiki<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dschool>is both
precise and good on the use of amenity=school

Use amenity <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:amenity>=*school* to
> identify a place where pupils, normally between the ages of about 5 and 18
> are taught under the supervision of teachers. This includes primary and
> secondary schools.

Intuitively the "K-12" (primary + secondary schools - often the combination
of elementary + highschool) are "school" in this sense. Pre-school and
kindergarten are sometimes called "school" but are part of the "school
system" in the same way. The primary and (sometimes) secondary schools are
often also the more or less compulsory schools.

I think if would be best if the OSM tagging clearly kept amenity=school for
this (K-12/primary+secondary) and we used other tags for other types of
schools / "educational places".
And this is what the original question was about -- how to tag other than
K-12 schools?

The closest (partial) solution we could find is the proposed
amenity=trade_school (that has only one (1!) occurrance in the db). I added
that to the http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Education_features page --
and we'll be likely using that for the various professional training
facilities that we run into on the ground in Haiti unless something better
comes up.

Related to this: I would personally like to see a very general education
POI tag that would be good for any and every educational POI that we run
into, which doesn't have a "dedicated" tag (such as amenity=school,
=college, =university, =kindergarten, =driving_school, =dojo, =what-not).
Does anyone else think that such tag would be good -- and if yes do you
think that amenity=education<http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=education>
(used
currently 109 times) could be acceptable for that?

Cheers,
-Jaakko
--
jaakko at helleranta.com * Skype: jhelleranta * Mobile: +509-37-269154  *