[Tagging] pastry and confectionery

Michael Krämer ohrosm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 09:01:57 UTC 2013

Hi Murry,

being yet another German I'm afraid I still don't buy into the proposal. I
guess this has a lot to do with both cultural and language differences.

Also some background to start with. For many people in at least continental
Europe bread is a basic food and a key component of the daily diet. For
example for me bread is the key ingredient for two meals of the day.  For
this reason bread is something pretty relevant in daily life and it's not
only about having some kind of bread but also the type and freshness of
bread.

Recently I've been travelling in France. Every morning one of the first
things has been to get some fresh bread. For this I used OSM and looked for
the next "artisan" bakery. A supermarket would also sell bread but that
would have been second choice only. There were also many shops selling
various treats but no the basic bread we were looking for. So to me this
basic distinction is really important.

>From my point of view another aspect is the occurence of bakeries. Both in
Germany and in France I expect to find a bakery more or less in every
village of reasonable size. This is not always a place where bread is baked
on the premises but at least in the morning there's a choice of various
types of bread etc.

My personal experience from travelling in the US, the UK and Canada is
rather different. To get bread there I would rather go to a supermarket. To
me a bakery in these countries is less of a everyday shop but more special.
To me this is also reflected by the number of bakeries you've given for
Colorado. Here a more or less randomly picked query in Strasbourg, France:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/iv. This gives around 50 bakeries in an area of
about 30 square kilometers. I would claim from this that the relevance of
bakeries is significantly different between e.g. the US and Germany.

As a conclusion I would argue that the tagging should be mainly tailored
towards the regions where bakeries are acutally found more often. Of course
the tagging must be applicable globally. But I am still in favour if having
the distiction between bakery, pastry and confectionery on the top-level
with shop=...

Michael