[Tagging] When was landuse=reservoir deprecated ?

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 6 21:55:59 UTC 2013

Am 06.06.2013 18:39, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> 2013/6/6 Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com <mailto:toby.murray at gmail.com>>
>
>     We have gotten several notes reported from craigslist users saying
>     "this lake is missing from the map" but I think it turns out that
>     craigslist is not rendering landuse=reservoir so unless lakes have
>     natural=water they don't show up on the CL maps. Just another
>     rendering oddity I guess.
>

> If you agree that landuse=reservoir doesn't necessarily need to be water
> on the whole area, then it seems logical to require a water-tag on the
> actual water covered area to render "blue". As long as the main style
> puts so much emphasis on landuse people will continue to map areas
> mainly with landuse and use very less frequent the physical tags which
> are not rendered.

+1

We should use both landuse and water. The first for the whole area and
the later for the water area.

We still have a problem with water=* as it is used as
water_geometry_type but also to describe the "coverage" [1]. This
proposal was deprecated but taginfo [2] might lead to a different view.

Better use boolean (e.g. intermittent=yes/no).

Maybe editors should warn or silently change these tags.

Last but not least my question still remains. Why was it just set to
abandoned without any prior discussion on this list ?

Cheers
fly

--
[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Water_cover