[Tagging] Through_route next steps

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 20:50:48 UTC 2013

>@Rob:
>Did you ever try to describe the junction with the Lane and Road
>Attributes?

No, I didn't. And as I've been busy with organising SOTM I didn't even
fully read the tag proposal (hence I didn't vote). I hope you agree that my
general comment about reading through and attempting to address the
critical points on the through_route proposal is the right way forward.
Yes, this may mean dropping the tag proposal altogether and working with a
different tag instead.

In my opinion, what the through_route tag was aiming to do is still a good
idea. I see it as more important for small unclassified country roads,
rather than multi-lane highways. Here in the UK many small historic rural
roads can have tight bends and often, if there is a connecting road, a
satnav will give an instruction to turn right/left when one is not in fact
needed (or not give an instruction when one is needed).

Best,
Rob