[Tagging] Tagging camp sites within campground

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Jun 21 20:11:47 UTC 2013

If I may summarize things to this point, two general proposals have been made:

1. Extend the normal street addressing to include lots, sites or pitches

2. Add a whole new set of tags specific to campsites.

My camping experience has been mostly in the western United States and my views are affected by that.

With that disclaimer out of the way, it appears that commercial campgrounds usually have traditional street addresses for the entire complex. For those a good case can be made that simply adding a addr:unit=* (or other equivalent) tag will work. Some private campground seem to have named their internal driveway system. So you could argue for those a traditional addr:street=*, addr:housenumber=* tag would work, except maybe if it obscures the official street address for the whole campground.

Most of the public (state parks, USFS, NPS) campgrounds in my area do not have a street address. At least none posted and it seems inappropriate to me having a addr:unit tag with no addr:housenumber tag. In addition, I'm not even positive that there are posted road names for a number of these campgrounds. There may be a forest route number shown on a forest service map but it may not be signed in the field. A addr:unit with no addr:street seems even less appropriate.

I assume uniform tagging is desired for all cases and it does not appear to me that anything with addr:whatever will work in all cases. So my inclination would be to follow Andrew Errington's suggestion and use tags specifically catering to campsites. He proposed the following:

On Jun 17, 2013, at 7:01 AM, Andrew Errington wrote:

> Yes.  Instead, I suggest that you use tourism=camp_site and put the name in
> name=*
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dcamp_site
>
> I would also suggest that addr:*=* is inappropriate for pitches on the site.
> addr:*=* would be for the campsite itself, probably the site office, but if
> there is no address (for the campsite) then you can't make one- just use
> name=* as above.
>
> How about making a set of tags for a pitch?  ("pitch" is the area upon which
> the caravan or tent is situated).  You can create a node or an area (probably
> a rectangle) and use ref=* for the pitch number.  I don't know quite how to
> do the namespace, but something like:
> camp_site=pitch (this is a pitch for a tent or caravan or motorhome)
> camp_site:parking=yes/no (you can park next to your tent)
> camp_site:electric=yes/no (there is an electrical hookup for this pitch)
> camp_site:water=yes/no (there is a water tap for this pitch)
> camp_site:drain=yes/no (there is a grey water drain for this pitch)
> camp_site:type=tent;caravan;motorhome/static (the things we can put on this
> pitch)
> camp_site:surface=grass/gravel/concrete
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew

I think that it would make sense to allow some of those tags to be used on the way that bounds the entire campground. For example camp_site:water=yes/no may be the same for all sites/pitches within a campground and tagging it in one place, if appropriate, assures consistency. (The campground I was looking at when I started this discussion has piping to various spots and up to about 20 years ago water was supplied. But with increasing strict water quality standards and decreasing manpower to maintain and test, the forest service simply turned off the water and now lists the campground as without water. Tagging the campground rather than the individual sites/pitches makes more sense to me in that type of situation.)

The Wiki page at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extend_camp_site has been marked as abandoned. I am new at this and am uncertain of the next step to follow. Should the page be altered to show renewed interest in the topic? If so who should alter it? Or should a new page be added with a proposal along the lines of whatever this mail list thread settles into? How does voting work? Etc.

Thanks!
Tod