[Tagging] Wikidata tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:32:33 UTC 2013

2013/2/27 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
> It is providing context. The goal of Wikidata isn't to become a catalog of
> Wikipedia articles, it is to become a big semantic database that has lots of
> structured data (which is, conveniently, described in Wikipedia articles).

fine, but they apparently started the db with article names, so it is
just the same for now, and it doesn't really look as if they read all
articles in all languages to check for consistency. If someone links a
wikipedia=it:foo at least you know that he checked this language. If
he adds a neutral link to a series of articles (like wikidata) you
won't know which of these articles he is referring to ;-)

> If we want, we can refine the data in Wikidata to better suit our needs, of
> course, if our requests make sense to Wikidatans.

first we would have to create a lot more entities there, many
wikipedia articles would have more than one wikidata-object I guess.
Then there would have to be attributes and classes to describe in
details the object that the entry is about, a link to an article with
lots of free text just doesn't do it. Personally in OSM I am using
additionally to operator the tag ref:vatin to map the VAT
Identification Number of a business, which is unique and you get it on
every receipt when you buy something. There are also databases around
listing all these businesses.

cheers,
Martin