[Tagging] Wikidata tag

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:55:19 UTC 2013

2013/3/1 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> The problem is that wikipedia is not a database about companies, it is
> an encyclopedia where it doesn't necessarily make sense to have a
> distinct article for every business, and this doesn't seem to be
> overridden by the wikidata concept (as it looks now).

I agree, this is the main weakness of Wikidata. It's probably more precise
to use the VAT number. What is the status of VAT number databases? Could we
make some large imports of VAT data to OSM?

As for Wikidata, data consumers will know the limitations of it, and will
have to choose if that tag is good enough, or if they want to use
ref:vatin=* or some other identifier.

Janko