[Tagging] Public transport zones

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 08:28:10 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you would prefer to use something generic referring to public
> transport it would be better to use something like
> public_transport_zone=* instead of just "zone" (but I'd prefer the
> approach proposed by Steve and the most used according to tag info: an
> explicit reference to the actual public transport provider / system /
> entity that created the zones in the key).

Thanks for the replies. Thinking about it some more, maybe even more
specific would be better:
public_transport_zone:ptv=1

It's actually not beyond the bounds of possibility that we'd need to
record a stop's zone within two different schemes. Several stations
are on both the metro and regional networks. Apparently[1] our
regional network has its own zone scheme, but there's some alignment
between them (http://www.vline.com.au/fares-and-tickets/tickets/zoneb.html)

So, the more I think about it, the more sense it seems to have:

public_transport_zone:ptv=1+2
public_transport_zone:vline=B

Ambiguous, common tags like 'zone' are fun for the people entering
them, but a nightmare to compute over...

Steve
[1] I actually take regional transport a lot, but you don't seem to
need to know this. You just tell them where you want to go and pay for
the ticket...