[Tagging] Public transport zones

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 02:55:59 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me try to clarify this.
> In case there are 2 companies stopping at a particular station, they both
> might have different properties for that stop: e.g. the names, reference
> numbers and zones.
>
> So the zone might depend on the company (both bus transportation), not on
> the form of transportation (bus vs. metro). This means that you need to
> group those attribute name, route_refs, refs, zones, etc.) per company.

Agreed. As I mentioned before, my proposed scheme was:

public_transport_zone:ptv=...
public_transport_zone:vline=...

(In Melbourne, the question of what to call them is a bit of a mess,
as the branding changes every 5 years or so. I'm not sure what name to
call the system of trains, buses and trams in Melbourne. Maybe it
should be public_transport_zone:myki - that's the name of the
ticketing system. Although again, to complicate matters, myki is
supposedly being extended to regional transport real soon now...)

Martin wrote:
>I'd rather add 2 bus stops if all these attributes were differing...

When there's a local bus stop at a regional bus station (including in
the city centre), I think I'd do the same. They're not really "the
same bus stop", they're just very near each other. But for train
stations, I feel differently. Regional trains stop at the same train
station, at *the same platform* as local trains. (Each regional train
typically stops at about 2-3 of the local stations on the way to/from
the city centre.) So I think multiple nodes/areas would be wrong.

Fortunately there is no such thing as regional trams :)

Steve