[Tagging] fire_hydrant extensions proposal

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sat Mar 9 19:30:27 UTC 2013

On 09/03/13 19:07, Richard Welty wrote:
> i've started drafting a proposal for some tags to extend the 
> fire_hydrant tagging system.
> i have a question for the non-US mappers...
> in the US, the American Water Works Association has a classification 
> system dividing
> hydrants into 4 groups based on their flow capacity (e.g., class AA is 
> output greater
> than 1,500 gallons per second.) is there any equivalent in other parts 
> of the world that
> should be factored into the tagging scheme?
> for the US, GPS is the normal flow capacity unit. i presume that 
> liters per second is the
> norm elsewhere. correct?
> for the US, water mains are specified in inches. i presume that 
> centimeter is the correct
> unit elsewhere. correct?

In the UK, hydrants are almost also below ground level, with a cover to 
gain access. Nearby there is a yellow sign with a characteristic 'H' in 
black on the sign. There are two numbers: the upper is the diameter of 
the fitting usually now in millimetres but there may still be some in 
inches, the lower number is the distance in whole metres (or yards) from 
the sign to the hydrant cover. The water flow rate is determined by the 
local water pressure and the diameter of the pipe fitting. This is not 
published, as it seems are the location of the hydrants :-) 

Cheers, Chris
user: chillly

More information about the Tagging mailing list