[Tagging] fire_hydrant extensions proposal

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sat Mar 9 20:00:18 UTC 2013

On 3/9/13 2:30 PM, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-03-09 at 14:07 -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
>> i've started drafting a proposal for some tags to extend the
>> fire_hydrant tagging system.
>> i have a question for the non-US mappers...
> The fire brigade will know exactly where they are.
one of the motivations for this is that in the US, the fire department
does not
always know where they are. most VFDs or urban Engine Companies are fine
in their own territory, but then they go out for mutual assistance
calls, the
hydrant information is often unknown to them. i know of departments that
keep a rolodex file in each truck with hydrant info. the goal i'm heading
for is a 7" android tablet running OsmAnd which can show any truck on
a mutual aid call where the nearest hydrants are and what kind of flow
they are capable of.

the goal of this tagging proposal is to capture key information. not all
of it
will always be available, but some of it will.
> Its not something we can easily map completely, bound to miss some. They
> certainly does not have the navigational significance it does in North
> America where you can describe a house as near the fire hydrant.
in the city of Albany, NY, it's actually quite the opposite. when the engine
company gets the call sheet off the printer, it lists nearby hydrants in
terms
of the house number on the street that the hydranta are closest to.
> Can't help further, although I have heard inches used to specify the
> size of a water main.

the proposal in its current form specifies that units can be inches, cm,
or mm.
it that's not enough i'll be shocked.

richard