[Tagging] Address and street name inside a private housing estate

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 13:13:06 UTC 2013

Dear the list,

In France, we have some private housing estates where the streets are
not named and the adresses are the housing estate name itself. For
instance, the housing estate is called "Lotissement Les Jardins de
Tisca". The streets inside the etate are private access and are not
officially named. I guess something we can find in many countries.

One of our contributor wants to keep the streets unnamed and put on
houses addresses the following tags : "addr:housenumber" with the
house number and "addr:street" with the housing estate name. And draw
a surrounding polygon for the whole housing estate with
"name=Lotissement Les Jardins de Tisca" and "landuse=residential".

Is this tagging correct ? Can we leave the streets unnamed or with the
tag "noname=yes" ? Some QA tools or validators complain about a
missing street for the "addr:street=Lotissement Les Jardins de Tisca".
Just ignore the warnings ? Or should we consider another "addr" tag
instead of "addr:street" like "addr:block" or "addr:place",
"addr:neighbourhood", "addr:estate" ? Is the housing estate correctly
tagged with "landuse=residential" + "name" ? What is your current
practice locally ?

Pieren