[Tagging] Tagging Digest, Vol 42, Issue 26 Historic huts

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Mar 27 17:46:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 02:21:09PM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2013/3/27 St Niklaas <st.niklaas at live.nl>:
> > Since the hut is situated in Australia, why name it Alpine hut ? I always
> > thought the Alps to be a European mountain range. In rural uninhabited areas
> > there will be shelters like it all over the world.
>
> well, the alps are in Europe, no doubt, but that doesn't necessarily
> mean that "alpine hut" isn't a prototype that could be found also
> outside the alps (and therefor the tag might be useful also outside
> the alps). Not sure what exactly the OSM definition for an "alpine
> hut" is, especially as there were some modifications to this page last
> year which now state that the hut must be "managed during the opening
> period" (not true for some place I know of, which I would nonetheless
> classify as alpine_hut).
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag%3Atourism%3Dalpine_hut&diff=768391&oldid=689867

<offtopic>

There is a Region in Australia called the "Australian Alps" - Ski
resorts and snow most time of the year.

I got stuck with a 4WD - loughing about road signs closed because of
snow at 30°C outside - 2 hours and a couple thousand meters later i got
stuck in 40cm of snow. This was during April.

</offtopic>

Flo