[Tagging] informal helipads for emergency use

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Sat Mar 30 00:55:58 UTC 2013

[First, I understand what you mean, and what you're trying to do.  My
town certainly has places like this for medevac helicopters.]

I think this information clearly does belong in OSM.  It's a fact about
the real world, and it's easy to verify.

But, I don't think they are "helipads".
It might be good to call them

aeroway=medevac_landing_zone

because while there is an access for emergency notion, what you proposed
would propertly apply to something that is constructed as a proper
helipad and in FAA databases, etc, but just allowed for emergency use
only.  (I know you know this:) A LZ is really just a place that's not
for aviation but which is prearranged to use if necessary.

Stephan's point that these should not show up as helipads on normal maps
is valid; they should show up as medevac landing zones on maps that want
to show landing zones.
Presumably the same maps would show water sources and hydrants.