[Tagging] New Proposal

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed May 1 17:26:21 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-01 at 18:20 +0200, Georg Feddern wrote:
> Am 01.05.2013 12:53, schrieb Philip Barnes:
>
> > The slip roads are straight ahead, whilst the through route curves
> > to the right. The tag is need to tell the router that straight ahead
> > is not stay on the same road.
> >
> > Hope that explains it.
> >

> uhm, had you ever considered to tag both following ways as *_link?
>
> In my opinion
> - the A56 is a trunk_link, because you have to leave the previous
> lanes.
> - the A682 is a primary_link, because you leave the A56.
>
> In _both_ cases you need a hint from the router to be warned (like
> "keep left" or "keep right").
> And AFAIK this would be already supported by routers.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

That is just one example, this problem does not only exist with grade
separate roads. Take this example, http://osrm.at/36D

To stay on the A511 no instruction to turn is given, therefore it is
easy to continue straight ahead. Here it is on streetview
http://goo.gl/maps/8csRf (can you imagine a world without streetview?
wish we could do an opensource version).

There are lots of cases where it would be useful to give a mapper the
means to improve routing by a simple relation.

Phil (trigpoint)