[Tagging] Recreation_ground (landuse vs leisure)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 27 08:01:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 05/27/2013 01:25 AM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> But with the other changes, things are different. I believe that
> changing a handful instances of an undocumented tag to an obviously
> synonymous tag that *is* documented and much more widely used (e.g.
> 1000x in the case of village green) is valuable cleanup work fully
> comparable to fixing typos. Without patient contributors silently
> performing routine housekeeping like that, our database would be even
> more messy than it already is.

Most "cleaners" become greedy with time. They start fixing a few typos
in their local area and before too long they make overpass queries and
fix "typos" world-wide without even thinking that the tag might indeed
be used differently in other places.

Nothing against someone fixing a couple genuine typos while looking at
the place in question, but as soon as your fixes become so many that you
can't afford to look at what you're changing (hypothetical exchange:
"Did you map in Brazil recently?" - "No, I don't think so" - "Though I
saw you changed X to Y in a village there" - "Oh well, could be, I did
that world-wide and didn't really look at which country it was in") -
then you would really do well to discuss your changes before. Yes,
having to discuss makes such changes a little more cumbersome but they
must not be too easy, or mistakes are more likely to happen.

Bye
Frederik