[Tagging] Primary or Trunk?

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 22:09:45 UTC 2013

Well, if it doesn't matter, perhaps we should abolish classifications
in OSM. *prepares for rotten tomatoes to be thrown at self* :P

It does matter if you think of application usability. What's a digital
map for without a renderer or a router app? (And many others I don't
recall now.) Both make assumptions based on classification (average
speed, minimum zoom level, precedence of name drawing, etc.). Those
apps attract users which eventually become contributors to OSM.

(Not meaning to say that we should map or tag for apps, just a
philosophical point.)

I agree with you that 1-ries and 2-ries are more similar to each other
than 2-ries and 3-ries are. But that's a sense that I've evolved after
observing a lot of maps all over the world. Not something one would
expect from a newbie (often the ones who get into edit wars). And then
you have borderline cases that divide even the experienced guys (which
usually have their own, slightly different personal sets of
"importance" criteria).