[Tagging] Pre-proposal: Newsagent / Kiosk / Tobacco / TIcket shop

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Sun Nov 3 13:00:23 UTC 2013

Dear all,

In many countries, there is a type of shop that sells most of the following:

- Newspapers
- Magazines
- Books (but not as wide selection as a book shop)
- Stationary
- Post cards
- Bus tickets
- Concert tickets
- Lottery tickets
- Post stamps
- Tobacco
- Mobile phone credit
- Drinks and candy

The name of this type of shop varies across countries. In the
Netherlands and Italy, they are most often refered to as tobacco shop
(although tobacco is only a small fraction of what is being sold). In
Switzerland and Luxembourg, they are refered to as kiosk (although
they are not necessarily small buildings on the sidewalk). In Germany,
they seem to be referred to as lottery shops (although they offer much
more than just lottery tickets). However, the concept seems to be
quite similar in most of these countries.

Some examples (not necessarily under an open license):
Italian tabacchi:
http://www.investmilano.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/tabacchi222.jpg
Dutch Primera cigarette shop:
http://wijkaanzee.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Primera-wijkaanzee.jpg
Swiss K-Kiosk: http://www.gaeupark.ch/upload/prj/images/kiosk1.jpg
English WHSmith:
http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/~/media/Images/content/at-the-airport/shop-restaurant-images/WHSmith.ashx
German Lotto lottery shop:
http://www.hit.de/regional/partner_image/071/071_Lotto_Shop.jpg

Do these kind of shops also exist in other countries, and how are they
referred to? Which of the products that I listed do they sell?

In any case, we have two options. We can either tag these shops as
they are refered to in the country itself (for example shop=tobacco in
the Netherlands and Italy, shop=lottery in Germany, shop=kiosk in
Switzerland and Luxembourg), or try to come up with a tag that allows
tagging the same type of shop in the same way across the globe. I
would prefer the second option.

Would shop=newsagent be understood for these kind of shops in most
coutries? I'm not sure whether Italian tabacchi also sell news papers,
for example.

Thanks in advance for any input.

-- Matthijs