[Tagging] give way and stop tag for ways

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Nov 5 13:19:53 UTC 2013

There are lots of cases where routing software uses turn restrictions, it would be next to useless if it relied on oneways alone.

Phil (trigpoint)
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 05/11/2013 13:09 Balázs Barcsik wrote:

Do you think that routing/navigation apps are using turn restrictions tags instead of oneway tag to create the route?
I dont think so...

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Ilpo Järvinen <ilpo.jarvinen at helsinki.fi> wrote:

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Balázs Barcsik wrote:

> Think about oneway
> tag.http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing

> That is a property of a way.
> So as a routing app I just would like to examine this tag, and forget the
> relations restrictions:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:restriction
> Because it is a redundancy - if the oneway tag used properly the routing app
> can determine whether you can turn right in an intersection or not. In other
> words - if someone missed defining the road signs at intersections
> (eg, restriction=no_left_turn) then this does not mean that you can turn
> left. So I would prefer to create such tags for priority cases - which
> can be assigned to ways

No, you are simply wrong here. Oneway is a legal concept that really
applies for the way and it is different from turning restrictions that
applies to particular combination of traversing on the graph edges (ie.,
a relation). And you cannot ignore turning restrictions as it by no means
guarantees that the way itself is oneway legally, just the turning is
forbidden from the way you're coming from.

--
 i.