[Tagging] Extend electrical substation model to oil & gas

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu Nov 7 12:22:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

I think we missed a pretty important point on power proposals so far :
power isn't an electric power matter only.
OSM takes care of pipelines too, especially for oil & gas transport.

Like in electrical power networks, we can encounter substations for gas
compression or oil distribution.

Since the goal of the whole project is to map power networks, we should
identify which kind of power are concerned.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Power_networks

According to wiki :
- electricity
- gas
- oil

so far... what else ?

The project page deals with gas=station, gas=sub_station... a well known
spelling dilemma.
Can we call gas distribution facilities "substations" ?

I'm willing mapping gas substations with power=substation + barrier=fence *and
immediately wonder how to distinguish an electrical substation from a gas
substation*.

Since power isn't dedicated to electricity, using power=* for electricity
and gas=* for gas isn't consistent.

Not a lot of work would be needed to extend new substation model to gas
since we already have a "well described" pipeline=* tag.

How do you feel ?

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com