[Tagging] [Power] sub_station vs substation

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sun Nov 10 01:01:12 UTC 2013

2013/11/9 Ole Nielsen <on-osm at xs4all.nl>

> +1
> We should surely not make an automatic conversion of the tag. Keeping the
> old tag is useful for tracking substations that need reviewing.

+1

> I asked this question in another thread and got one suggestion:
> "local_distribution". I have since tagged a few substations with
> "minor_substation" as 'local' is a somewhat ambiguous term (I admit that
> could also apply to 'minor) but I haven't documented anything so far.

Did you use power=minor_substation or substation=minor_substation ?

Taginfo dosen't know both of them.
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/power=minor_substation
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/substation=minor_substation

IMHO, using power=minor_substation isn't a good way regarding the rest of
substation refinement proposal.
We'd better make the distinguish with substation=* (and may we use
substation=minor_distribution ?) to avoid any semantic and custom
thresholds problem in the future (like it was for station/sub_station and
like it's still for line/minor_line).

> For substations that are not for 'special purpose' (such as converter,
> traction etc) the recommendation is to use the value 'transmission' for
> substations having a highest operation voltage above 100 kV and
> 'distribution' for those below that voltage. There may be reasons to
> deviate from this rule but the average mapper having no special knowledge
> about a particular substation should stick to this rule.

+1 to make it "default". To definitely move on this voltage problem too.

Specific situations for each countries could be detailed in the country
power project page.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com