[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - bicycle=use_cycleway

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Thu Nov 14 09:40:52 UTC 2013

Am 14.11.2013 10:13, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

>> Am 14/nov/2013 um 00:53 schrieb "Robert Whittaker (OSM lists)" <robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com>:
>>
>> I don't see why you can't tag the roads you're talking about
>> with bicycle=no (or maybe something like bicycle=restricted for the
>> cases where more significant use is allowed) and then add a second tag
>> along the lines of bicycle:restriction=DE:use_cycleway to capture the
>> fact that the legal exclusion of bikes is because of X country's
>> parallel cycleway rules.
>
> You shouldn't do it, because it would be wrong. There is no legal exclusion of bikes on the road, there is an obligation - under certain circumstances - to use the cycleway, this is a difference and should not be tagged like an exclusion of bikes on the road (e.g. like on a motorway)

@Martin:
Your reply is only valid for the first line of the citation.

@Robert:
The rest of the citation sounds better than the proposed "use_cycleway"
- at least for me. But its just the "name", not the intention, which is
the same for both.
If there is a need for the additional tag of "country-specific" or if it
may be as country-specific-implicit as other implications for highways
already - I don't know.

Georg