[Tagging] preproposal : internet webcam

nounours kuessemondtaeglich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 22:54:12 UTC 2013

Am 29.11.2013 um 21:02 schrieb Jonathan:

> Why can we not have:
>
> man_made=surveillance
> surveillance:type=webcam
> surveillance:zone=weather;traffic;scenic.....
> url=http://....

completly agree that all cameras should share a common tagging!

BUT:

1) man_made does not make any sense for a camera - ifnot, we should also tag highways, restaurants and buildings as "man_made".

2) The two-level tagging seems exagerated in this case.

Am 29.11.2013 um 17:55 schrieb Yves:

> A simple scheme like webcam=weather/yes/..., url= would be so simple !

Yes, simple it's o.k., BUT it does not reflect the common tagging discussed above.

So, the synthesis of the two proposition:

camera=surveillance | webcam | trafficcam | ...
website=...

would be easy, respect common tagging for all kind of cameras, and not discurage somebody from tagging a webcam because of the connotation of "surveillance".

> For the need for the tag, given the number of websites listing webcams for snow conditions, I suspect that these mapped webcams would find a lot of use.
> Yves

Yes, I think having a map showing all webcams for weather & snow-conditions with direct link to the picture would be a very nice application and really of added value. Personally, before going hiking/skiing, I'm often looking for a webcam showing the spot I'm interested, and everytime it's a nightmare to find the right camera!

So, we should promote the mapping of webcams with a clear tagging proposition!

Nounours